Saturday, December 6, 2014

First Thoughts on Surviving the Stillness, by Jessica White

I received a copy of Into the Stillness today, shipped from Amazon by my friend, Jessica White. The book took her over a decade and a half to write to completion, but I was lucky enough to follow the last few months of her writing process to publication. When I finish the book (hopefully in a week or so) and review it, I will be doing it under the full disclosure that she is a friend of mine, and that she sent me a review copy of the novel.

Even so, I cannot be bought! 

Books are a passion for me. I love to surround myself with them, to enjoy them, to feel the paper in my hands or to curl up comfortably with my Kindle Paperwhite. Good books are rare in an age of independent self-publishing via platforms such as Kindle Direct Publishing. I pick up a lot of books that I never finish, and therefore that I never review. 

When I receive a review copy of a book, I commit to give the book a review, to tweet about the book, and to post about the book on Facebook. I agree to publish a fair and honest review, not to give a positive review, even if the person asking for the review is a friend.

Of course, it's always easier if you like the book that the friend has written.

I'm two chapters into Into the Stillness and I can already tell you that I like this book. Jessica starts it out powerfully, with strong characters in the midst of a gripping story. The reader gains a first sense of the plot in chapter two, when Matthew's struggles with his father become evident, and by that point, is entirely sucked in.

Since I'm not finished reading this book yet, I can't review it, but I do want to encourage other readers who enjoy Christian or Historical fiction to pick up a copy on Amazon. Jessica will appreciate your purchase, and I will make a small commission on the sale of the book as well! 

I think that you'll enjoy it, particularly if Historical fiction is an interest for you. The Christianity in the book (thus far) is underscored and subtle, the characters are rich and enjoyable, and the historical setting is built effectively. 

Who would believe this was Jessica's first novel?!

Again, you can purchase Into the Stillness on Amazon. I'll be keeping you up to date with my thoughts on this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment